Saturday 19 March 2022

1:35 ICM Zil-131 Emergency Truck

 


I wasn't sure what to expect from an ICM kit at this scale. I've built three of their 1:72 kits and they're not the best quality, but they still scrub up ok. I'd say this was about the same. This one is lacking in detail and very basic. That said, it's done well. It's far better than the Revell M34 and it fits together with no real problems. The instructions are also pretty good, If I had to sum up this kit with one word it would be "adequate". It gives you everything necessary to get a fine result, but no more.

That said, there's nothing wrong with basic. I'm not one for detail for its own sake, especially when it's unlikely to be seen. The rear compartment does come with some interior detail and it's quite good, though I did a bare minimum job on it as it can't be seen. It might have been nice to have hinged rear doors so that it could be seen - and that's the kind of detail missing from this kit. The cab detailing is practically non-existent, but there's just enough for my purposes with the doors closed.

What I like about this kit is that there are no annoying sub assemblies split into many parts. Another way to look at this (and other ICM kits) is that it's no nonsense. It does what it says on the tin. And in this case, that's all that really matters. They've picked a really nice subject that looks good even in all over green, and given us something that really stands out.

This is basically three small kits in one. There's the chassis assembly, which is neither difficult nor onerous, the cab, and the rear compartment, which can all be built and painted separately, and then very little is required when it all comes together. For this I've used basic misting techniques and oil paint streaking, with a subtle dry-brushing, and though I've gone to town on the rear compartment, the rest largely speaks for itself.

The rear compartment could have done with a bit more exterior detail as it looks like a plywood box and it has some accuracy issues, but I expect it's presently beyond ICM's capability, and would have driven the price up. ICM kits are easy on the wallet, while most other brands are now costing more than they should. There's certainly a place for merely adequate kits at affordable prices.

But, you know, never mind all that. I mean look at it. It's fantastic and I love it. It was fun to build, challenging enough, and the result is glorious. I'm totally happy with it and I would build one again. If ICM survives the war in Ukraine then they're likely to be a fixture in any modeller's stash. They do a wide range of off-beat stuff that you just can't get anywhere else. Their box art is also seriously cool. It would be a great loss if they don't survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment