Wednesday 17 March 2021

1:32 Matchbox Sea Venom

 

I saw this on Ebay going for a song and I just had to have it. I remember wanting one as a kid but was told it would be too advanced for me - which is ironic because this is probably the most basic kit in existence. I wanted it largely because of the absolutely gorgeous box art which gave me a rush of nostalgia. I normally throw the boxes away when the build is complete - but not this one. 


I loved every minute of this build. It's a lovely antique kit with strangely antique feel to the finished product. It's let down by a lack of detail but then the real thing is almost as basic. I didn't have fun with the decals on this (when does one ever) as they were ancient and the adhesive had perished. The landing gear is also useless. I'll probably have to keep gluing it on after it falls off. 

This was my first 32nd scale aircraft. It wouldn't have worked at 48 scale as it's a surprisingly small aircraft, little bigger than a Jet Provost. I could have done a better job on the painting and it suffered from a bit of orange peel effect on the Humbrol grey. It did the same on a recent Buccaneer. This one was a bit of a revelation though. I'd always assumed the lower colour was a cream colour with just a hint of green, but the actual colour is closer to mint-choc icecream green and only takes on its cream shade when juxtaposed with the grey. And by the way, yes, those wing tank decals are as difficult as they look. I just about got away with it. 

I have to say, I'm absolutely in love with the Sea Venom now. It's an ugly, ponderous beastie but you never really understand a form til you model it. This little bird was a proper aeroplane. It just looks better in the sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment