Monday 15 March 2021

1:48 Revell A26 Invader



This isn't one I would have chosen for myself. It was a birthday present. But no kit is a bad kit and I'm very pleased to make its acquaintance.

The Invader is a bit of an odd bird. By any standards it is not a pretty aeroplane even in the air. It does, however, make for an interesting build. This is one of Revell's fairly recent (by Revell standards) productions so it doesn't have the usual moulding flaws that go with Revell multi-engine warbirds. The detail is better than usual and the component definition on the interior is adequate. For once you can actually see it so it's worth the trouble to go the extra mile.

What's surprising about this kit is that even for a relatively late kit, it still has raised panel lines - but that's not really a problem on this one. It scrubs up nicely. For this one I've used Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium, and the mismatched panels are done by a gentle brushing with Tamiya panel line fluid. I think it's worked quite well but it's not completely there. I think it could do with a bit more weathering.

The reason I haven't done more is that I used a chalky aerosol paint I was told would dual as a primer, but it doesn't and if I mask it at all then it just pulls off the "primer" coat and the metal color. I quit while I was ahead.

Though there was something with this model that didn't sit right with me. I kept looking at it and one wing looked higher than the other. It was an optical illusion but on closer inspection the starboard wing is slightly warped and twisted chordwise. The wing joint didn't fit well either as I recall. Like I say, no kit is a bad kit, but some kits have serious problems. This is one of them.

If you're going to build this kit, I advise looking at it from all angles very carefully before painting and doing whatever you can to correct the shaping. What you get, though, is a nice little aeroplane about the size of an A10 and something just a little bit different that will stretch, but not break, all of your skills.

As ever with Revell you get what you pay for. This is a low cost kit and like all Revell budget kits there are issues, but they're always satisfying. The instructions are easy to follow, the decals are generally good, and if you know what you're doing, even their worst efforts can be beaten into shape. I have the Revell/Monogram B26 Marauder sitting in the stash and I'm sure I'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed this one.

Verdict: Not one to repeat - but pleased I did it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment