Wednesday 17 March 2021

Italeri 1:48 F-14A Tomcat

 

It looks far better in this picture than it actually is. I did not do a good job of it. This was one of my first. I recently bought a second one so this could take its rightful place in the bin. My view is that if you're a serious modeller then the F14 is one to crack and anything less than perfect won't do so I'll keep going at it until I get it right.

I'm posting this one because I just want to rave about this particular kit. It's not particularly detailed and it doesn't have flaps or configuration options, but at £27, for a massive Tomcat, you can't really complain. The interior is very basic and the ejector seats could do with replacing with something better, but if you want an imposing "big fighter" then this will do. Any other brand of Tomcat will cost you substantially more.

The Tomcat is the one to crack largely because it does so wonderfully lend itself to advanced pre-shading techniques and marbling and there's a lot of scope for advanced weathering. It's an excellent canvass to get creative with. I plan to use the next one as a training experience with a view to doing one of the more advanced Tomcat kits in the future. As someone who generally prefers painting to the building, this is a nice kit because there are relatively few pieces and it's a fast build with no senseless interior ducting. It's basic and that's what I like about it. If you want convoluted builds, go for the Revell 1:32 Hornet. 

For those considering it, be warned, it is not at all small. It takes up twice the shelf space as a Tornado. It's about the size of an Su-27 which isn't small either. As it happens, I think the Tomcat is a much overrated aircraft and is only pretty from certain angles, but in this particular USS Nimitz scheme it does look the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment