Wednesday 17 March 2021

1:72 Airfix Jet Provost


I don't usually build 1:72 scale birds and certainly never this small. I wanted to build one for my dad who flew them in his brief air force career. It's basically the Vauxhall Chevette of the sky but a very likeable little bird. If somebody started making them new for private use they would certainly sell. 

Here the camera doesn't quite do this one justice. I elected not to give it a dark wash or panel liner because at this scale it would spoil it. Airfix have latched on to the fact that modellers like to accentuate panels so they add them to absolutely all of their range now, and in my view the grooves are too many and too deep for 1:72.  People rave abut the new Airfix 1:72 Buccaneer but I think it looks daft for that very reason and it's the reason I don't like the Corgi die casts very much - and certainly not now I can make better myself.

The kit, though, is lovely. You really get a sense you're looking at state of the art kit engineering when you open the box and if that is the standard of all new Airfix kits then their new releases are definitely worth a look. The updated V bombers could be very nice.

I like this one so much I built two of them. I did the silver-grey variant with the dayglow orange straps (though be warned the dayglow decals are useless). These little 1:72 birds work will as side projects and good for instant gratification. This one took just a single afternoon. An afternoon spent well, methinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment