Monday 15 March 2021

1:72 ICM ZiL-131 Soviet Army Truck



As a gift for my dad who collects 1:72 vehicles I decided to have a bash at one. This one is from ICM, a Ukrainian company I'd never head of. I've built three of four of their trucks now and I really like them. They're basic, easy to build, and there's nothing at all wrong with them. It also makes a nice change to step outside your usual groove. Here I've employed a lot of the techniques I normally apply to 1:35 vehicles. With a mixture of weathering powders (red earth brown and black) and rust wash fluid, this one has really worked well. Better than I expected. With aircraft less is usually more, but with vehicles, the messier the better. 

This one looks particularly good because of the contrast on the white body. I did a similar Ural command vehicle in Soviet dark green and though it looks ok, it just doesn't look as cool as this. The little red flash of the fire extinguisher and the orange indicators just adds that little bit of life to it. It's a nice little thing to have. I must have had to glue that wing mirror back on at least four times though. 

In the wake of this I will probably try my hand at a 1:35 Warrior MCV in UN white, Bosnia campaign. The desert one I did looks cool so it's worth a try. White is right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment